Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It IS Easy Being Green

Lately, I’ve found myself attracted to the color green, though I’m not sure why. Usually green is a spring color, not a late summer color. Coming from Texas, where late summer is characterized by brown, I’m very thankful that the Nashville area is still quite green.

Even my favorite recovery meal/breakfast is green: a Green Monster, to be exact. The green color comes from spinach blended into the smoothie. It sounds bizarre, but I promise you can hardly taste it. My Green Monster this morning wasn’t terribly green because I was a little low on spinach. After a weekend with relatives in town and a lot more eating than running, it felt good to run a few miles, lift some weights, and start off the week right with a Green Monster, appropriately in a pint glass.

CIMG1466

My current favorite mix:

  • 1 cup soy milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1-2 big handfuls of spinach or another leafy green
  • 1 medium banana, frozen and cut into chunks
  • 4-5 frozen strawberries

I whirl it up in the blender, and it keeps me full until lunchtime.

Friday morning, I had a couple of miles planned, but every fiber in my body was begging me not to run, so I moved the miles to Saturday and took a rest day. Now that we’re moving into the end of summer, kids are back in school, and summer fun is over, I decided to treat myself to a little present, as much to reward myself for running through the heat of summer as to motivate myself until the weather cools down. I purchased this little guy (with credit card reward points!) to accompany on my runs:

IMG_0538

Isn’t he cute? I love listening to music on my runs because it motivates me and distracts me, but I’m not terribly picky as long as it has a good beat and is at least a medium tempo song. So I loaded my little iPod shuffle with everything from Jay-Z to Miranda Lambert, hit shuffle, and it surprises me while I’m out there. I can just clip it to my shorts or my sports bra instead of carrying around its older sibling on my arm.

IMG_0540

It feels so much lighter, and I love that I don’t know which song is going to come on. Like yesterday, I was going to bail at a certain distance, but when a song I love to run to came on, I kept going to finish out the workout.

I’m not very good at rewarding myself in the middle of training. I’ll usually splurge on a nice pedicure or a massage after a big race, but little things like a new sports bra or running shorts in the midst of a training cycle make my daily runs just a little more exciting.

How do you reward yourself?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

[p]MBT [url=http://www.mbtshoeswomen.co.uk/womens-mbt-night-beach-brown.html]masai barefoot technology shoes[/url] sneaker manage . Rich in-Qualitied sneakers, [url=http://www.mbtstoresuk.co.uk/men-s-mbt-m-walk-shoes-black-white.html]womens steel toe shoes[/url] Should convincingly practice football more attractive and handy . Quality soft uppers and soles, and easy to bend, if too hard, not easy to bend, easy fatigue . The key benefits of the anti--Runners are not only seen active at the time walking . So you'll find really numerous such physical fitness footwear obtainable on the internet . Basically brazier, But you may see notable girdles [url=http://www.mbtstores.co.uk/women-s-mbt-lami-shoes-grey.html]road shoes sale[/url] out of numerous . The big-Broke Bride On large broke brides Off-Currently [url=http://www.mbtshoeswomen.co.uk/womens-mbt-tataga-shoes-brandy.html]the anti shoe[/url] each of our-Shoulder gowns look good . Having said that, I actually adore a Melinda lovely lady since i have suspected the girl narrative.[/p][p]What sort of sport you do, That you workout, Present a week, Your actual age, Your uncle health, Your level of fitness, Your dedication [url=http://www.mbtboots.co.uk/mens-mbt-gil-gil-sandals-chocolate.html]sales shoes uk[/url] to sorting out, All of these choices come into play when picking out the right running shoes MBT Shoes . Then again, He was there in the Executive Lounge at the Miami airport [url=http://www.mbtboots.co.uk/men-s-mbt-sport-shoes-black.html]ladies shoes cheap[/url] after 100 event number was to the letdown of her performance in the last day of the championship Cadillac unconscious happened in the conversation around them Cheap MBT Shoes . Very important the [url=http://www.cheapmbtboots.co.uk/women-s-mbt-maliza-shoes-brown.html]wide fit childrens shoes uk[/url] fact that high heel is actually inserted in the once more in the ft . Marshalls, With regard to example, Bears Nikes, Asics and even some Reeboks, Among many several various off-Famous choices . The quantity ended up generally runners? Both twos properly require me to pay reduced than $65 . In general, The better quality and brand golf pair of running footwear, [url=http://www.mbtboots.co.uk/women-s-mbt-lami-shoes-red.html]shoes for sales[/url] The greater caliber they can indeed be . I t h e l p s t o m a k e y o u r c u r r e n t h e a l t h y g o o d p o s e a n d a s w e l l s t r i d e b e t t e r b y u s i n g t e n l e v e l s , I n l i n e w i t h t h e r e s e a r c h.[/p]


Anonymous said...

on this web blog picked up a large set of interesting articles about [url=http://title-publishing.org/]новости азербайджана[/url].

Anonymous said...

here on the official web blog can take a look at the huge range of smart articles: [url=http://strojdomsam.ru/podvore/stroim-saraj-svoimi-rukami.html]сарай своими руками[/url].